I have to apologize for my long absence, but I’ve been in year end mode for the entire month. To make up for it, I have a killer list of free tools to geek out on. This list should have something for everyone. I have technology tools, business tools and even an online image editor.
- Google SketchUp – Our Google Overlords continue to keep the masses in check with their constant stream of cool, free apps. This one allows you to create any kind of 3D model you can think of. From a skyscraper to a toilet brush, you can create and manipulate just like professional CAD software. Check out Detroit’s Renaissance Center:
- Recuva – Have you ever deleted a file, emptied the recycle bin and then realized you just got rid of a spreadsheet that you spent 20 hours on? This is the app for you. It scans your hard drive and will recover as many files as it can see. The step by step wizard walks you through the process and make it dead simple to use.
- Fotoflexer – This online image editing application is a lifesaver when you’re at your in-laws house and need to crop, resize, get rid of red-eye or whatever. It has preset effects that you can apply to photos, along with text and even layers. Very slick.
- inSSIder – Troubleshooting Wifi can be a real headache. Channels, spectrums, encryption levels make it a real mess when there’s a high concentration of traffic. This tool breaks it all down and gives a nice graphical view of everything it can see.
- SolarWinds Advanced Subnet Calculator – If you’re a network person, this is a tool you shouldn’t leave home without. You just punch in an IP and it will tell you all of the subnets, ranges, broadcasts and networks that relate to it.
- PrimoPDF Creator – No one wants to pay 500 bucks for Acrobat just to create PDFs from your documents. This free app installs in about 30 seconds and sets up a “printer” that you can select from any application and will create PDFs every bit as well as the big guns do.