This is completely off topic. It has nothing to do with business, and less to do with technology than my frustrations with getting my own junk to work.
I have this pie in the sky ideas about what my home entertainment system should look like. Allow me to break it down for you.
The “Must Have” List:
- It must store the media (music and movies mainly, photos are really an after thought for me) on a centralized, always on system. (Currently a Windows Home Server in my garage)
- I must be able to use the content from: My Windows 7 Ultimate PC, my Vista Slate, My Wife’s Vista PC, My Daughter’s Windows 7 Home Premium PC or the Xbox 360 in the living room.
- The movie content will be displayed GRAPHICALLY, like with cover art, so that my illiterate children (5 year old and soon the 1 year old) will be able to select movies without shouting across the house “WHAT DOES THIS SAY MAMA?”
The “Would Be Nice” List:
- The ripping process should be relatively painless.
- Movie descriptions, ratings and cast info.
- If the disk space could be minimized, that would be great.
So these are the things that I am after. I have implemented some pieces of this system without having defined the whole, which has left me with a fragmented and disappointing solution. I assure you that I know better, and to prove it, I’m going to chronicle my journey to accomplish the above. Fasten your seat belts.