As a field tech (not to mention son-in-law, brother, cousin whatever), you have to work on many different people’s computers. You never know what you’re going to have to work with in terms of the applications they have installed. Chances are very high that they won’t have all of the utilities you need to help them out. This is why most geeks carry jump drives with them.
Here are some of the tools that I carry on my keychain jump drive:
- Firefox Portable Edition – you never know when you’re going to need another browser.
- 7-Zip – a great file compression tool.
- Foxit PDF Reader – lightweight PDF reader.
- WinDirStat Portable – a disk analysis and cleanup tool.
- PuTTY – an SSH/Telnet client app.
- ProcessMonitor – Think Task Manager on steriods.
- Eraser – secure (and permanent) file deletion too.
What tools do you pack around on your jump drive?